Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Wisdom of Words - #1. Put Descartes before the horse.

If there's one song that captures the human condition in a sentence, I think it must be this: "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." It's certainly true in my household; for example, everybody wants to eat dinner - but nobody wants to cook. Over the years, I've taken to singing variations of it spontaneously, as it seems to suit almost any occasion. The writer's version of this is "everybody wants to publish books, but nobody wants to write."

Every so often, someone will ask me about how to become a published writer, yet few people ask me how to write well. My answer is always the same; worry about your writing first. Write early and write often. Carry a notebook or a pocket audio recording device to capture those random insights you have throughout your day. Inspiration is lightning to the soul; it can illuminate a hundred thousand things in a flash, but it's impossible to recreate exactly once the moment has passed. It will come again, but is different each time it strikes. You might get close, but typically something has been lost.

To severely misquote Rene Descartes, "I write because I am." The best writing comes from people who care more about the art of their craft than they do about getting it published. That is not to say you shouldn't try to publish your work or get paid for it, please do. But beware: when you find yourself focused more on selling your work then on the writing itself, it will show. Ironically, your writing will be less marketable as result. Write because you can't stop writing. Write like you're trapped in a fire and you haven't finished your will yet. Write because the thought of lying on your deathbed before you have finished your manuscript makes you gnash your teeth with premeditated regret. When that's the thought that haunts you, you're on the right track, you're on your way.

To be continued, check back for more (solicited) writing advice in #2: Avoid il-literary-acy.

 LIKE our Facebook page  to hear about our current art events, calls for artists & more.





   
   
   


2 comments:

  1. I agree. The purest core of art of any kinds should not be boxed into the frame of reference to a $$ figure during its creation process.

    I've been jotting down any interesting storyline / ideas that come to my mind purely 1) for the fun of collecting creative thoughts that show up in my mind out of the blue and 2) hoping these storyline / ideas will give me inspiration in my expression of art one day.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts with me--I so appreciate it!
+k
http:www.xculturearts.com