Friday, November 2, 2012

Some Say Tomato, Some Say Tomorrow...

Waiting - mixed media - kathleen sullivan isacsonFor me the hardest thing about making artwork is starting. That is closely followed by the struggles of continuing and actually finishing. Why is it that I'm so naturally inclined to post-pone what I love? And why am I not alone in this special brand of insanity?  I don't have the answers, but I do know that I'm definitely not alone.

So what do I do when getting myself into the studio feels harder than putting a cat into a suitcase?  (That's really, really hard, by the way. I haven't tried it--I have a high respect for cats & good suitcases--but I vividly remember my mother's attempt to get our feline to the vet without a proper cat carrier. So not good.)

Mostly, my technique is to trick myself. I'll work while listening to an edifying podcast (or WireTap, not edifying, but fun) or insist on working through all of a piece of music or playlist (classical for drama or rock/pop for energy). Or give myself a set time to work for. In that I find I'm also not alone. Painter Robert Genn uses a timer that looks like a tomato. We all have to do whatever we can to get through the night, right?

The Pomodoro Technique described by Robert Genn:

Just as people learn to spell words and add numbers, folks can learn how to gain intention. It takes a bit of character and a Pomodoro. A Pomodoro is one of those red kitchen timers that looks like a tomato. Pomodoro is Italian for tomato. You can buy them on Amazon for $7.99. The Pomodoro Technique is a time-management method developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s. The timer is set for 25 minutes and then you focus and go to work on your predetermined job. At the end of the time period, the alarm goes off and you take a five minute break. Then you start on your next Pomodoro. If your Pomodoro gets interrupted by a phone call or a request to go down and drain the lake, you'll have to stop and restart your Pomodoro later.

To rise and become a "Certified Pomodoro Master" you need to determine how many 25-minute segments you're going to need to do a particular project--say a 20" x 24" painting. You need a notepad and pen to list and keep track of your staged Pomodoros. Give yourself a check mark at the completion of each.  


If you have any helpful advice, leave a comment & share the wisdom!
  
Right now, my favorite playlists I use to keep me occupied are on Spotify. If you want to suscribe yourself, they're "42" &  "I Love the Smell of Wagner in the Morning." Here's a sample from each...

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts with me--I so appreciate it!
+k
http:www.xculturearts.com